SG X MY: Singapore's EZ-Link joins forces w/ Malaysia’s Touch ‘N Go!

• Community Manager

0_1555948437709_5e7c7ff5-21bd-4844-ae18-368e7ec28094-image.png

We may own the above card as early as Q4 2019! Source

This exciting new partnership between the 2 firms will give birth to a dual currency Combi Card—which will host both e-wallets from EZ-Link and Touch ‘n Go.

For context,
    Singapore's EZ-Link: The very first contactless stored value card introduced and most widely used for public transit use on the MRT, LRT and buses

Malaysia's Touch 'N Go: Smart card used by Malaysian toll expressway and highway operators as the sole electronic payment system.

For now, the Combi Card is planned for use to pay for electronic road pricing in Singapore, tolls in Malaysia, and parking, though the companies hint at potential further use;

like shopping and dining, it seems.

^ hmmm we did not see that coming, did we (?)

Source

Interestingly, this collaboration would resonate with absolutely everyone here at CrowdFund Talks (since we've got alternative investors from both countries interacting and collaborating)! 💪

What sort of users do you think would appreciate this product the most?

What synergies do you think this partnership could bring about / result in?

• The ones who work in JB and stay in Singapore or those who work in Singapore and stay in JB (latter is of course more prevalent). Depends on how good the exchange rates would be too.

With regards to acquisition of users, at least they're a few steps forward "To date, EZ-Link claims to have issued about 30 million CEPAS ez-link cards in Singapore, and Touch ‘n Go claims to have more than 23 million active Touch ‘n Go cards in circulation in Malaysia"

But if a separate card / registration process is needed on top of what we all already own, then I'm a little skeptical about the impact of the above big numbers on its adoption

• @kaeley-wn

This card will be useful for Malaysians IF:

1. One can easily transfer money conveniently to and from Malaysia into EZ-Link at competitive rates
    2. The stored value can be used to fund investments in Singapore (be in P2P or SGX) - currently impossible due to regulations on withdrawal limitation imposed on e-wallets
    3. The spread of MYR/SGD is narrow

Otherwise, I do not see much of a value to us who live in Central/Northern/Eastern parts of Malaysia. It could only benefit those living in the Southern region and Singapore. A normal credit card will serve its job well in such cases.

• @jordy said in SG X MY: Singapore's EZ-Link joins forces w/ Malaysia’s Touch ‘N Go!:

1. The stored value can be used to fund investments in Singapore (be in P2P or SGX) - currently impossible due to regulations on withdrawal limitation imposed on e-wallets

What withdrawal limitation would this be?

• @maybewei

Probably the methods of withdrawal, and the maximum withdrawal amount. These 2 regulations put a dent in any hopes of using e-wallets to fund investments.

• @jordy

Otherwise, I do not see much of a value to us who live in Central/Northern/Eastern parts of Malaysia. It could only benefit those living in the Southern region and Singapore. A normal credit card will serve its job well in such cases.

Agreed. Unless they have any attractive cashback schemes for commuting maybe

• @jordy I see, never knew about these regs. Thanks for the info! What do you think is the best alternative then?

• @maybewei

For e-wallets, I prefer to use BigPay as topping up and withdrawal process is easy. You can withdraw the cash from any ATM machine that accepts Mastercard. So far I have not been restricted with a maximum amount yet as I have not tried using the card for investment purposes. Til to date, I have already tried making larger payments like flight tickets and insurance premium using the card with no problem. I just hope that one day we could use e-wallets to top up investments (like FS or FSM). It will attract greater interest in e-wallets.

Looks like your connection to Crowdfund Talks | A Community for P2P Lending & Alternative Investments was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.