Investing in sleep for cognitive returns

• Community Manager

Caught this link shared by @ben floating on my FB newsfeed this morning, with my small eyes laden with slightly dark circles.

A sustainable flow of income is paramount for financial independence; physical well-being is important too, if not more.

I’d always thought that our need for sleep, like our appetite for food, drink or social contact, was a personal matter: Some people need more, some need less.

Wrong. A new study of the sleep habits of more than 10,000 people around the world suggests that the amount of sleep adults need is universal. The massive survey, published in the journal Sleep, demonstrates that adults everywhere need 7-8 hours a night—no more and no less—in order to be mentally limber. When we habitually stint on those hours, higher-order cognitive processing—such as the ability to see complex patterns and solve problems—is compromised.

How many hours of sleep did you have last night? 😱 If suboptimal, could you have done better?

• I sleep 6 hours every day. 4 cups of coffee too.

• Community Manager

• I wish our bosses would let us take power naps!

I went through a phase of using a Fitbit to track my sleep but realised in the end, it's just discipline needed to put my head down on the pillow and sleep. There will never be enough time to finish everything I want to do, but having a good nights sleep definitely helps me in making sure I get more done!

• This post is deleted!

• I consistently target for 8 but only attain 6h30 on average, as per my Garmin statistics :/ Not disciplined enough.
    3 cups of coffee a day needed.

Interestingly, if we plot @maybewei 's and my datapoints, and extrapolate, we reach an interesting equation.....

S + 0.5*C = 8,
    where
    S = hours of sleep
    C = cups of coffee needed.

Hence an optimal sleep of 8 hours would remove our need of caffeine thru the day.
    Easier said than done!

• I sleep for 7 hours but usually take 3 cups of coffee.

Dying soon at the rate I am drinking coffee

• Community Manager

@antoniomc27 hahahaha extrapolation for a good cause / strong message. Approved 💯

• Community Manager

@bendahara have you tried complementing it with tea!

• @kaeley-wn said in Investing in sleep for cognitive returns:

@bendahara have you tried complementing it with tea!

They are occasional drinks

• I slept for 0 to 12 hours depending on whether it peak period or it weekend.

During normal occasion, I get an average of 6 hours of sleep but during the peak period i only manage to sleep 0 to 4 hours in which most of my resting time will be pushed to weekend and I'll be sleeping for 12 hours :(. No tea for me as it got totally no effect at all (to my family also) and coffee actually make me sleepy. 。゚・(>﹏<)・゚。

• Community Manager

@Lipozami Wow 0?! How then do you stay awake?

• @kaeley-wn Somehow I able to 。゚・(>﹏<)・゚。 with occasional milo, teh tarik and sweets >< Those day is coming soon 。゚・(>﹏<)・゚。

• Funding Societies

@dc Haha! totally agree! Power naps ftw!

Looks like your connection to Crowdfund Talks | A Community for P2P Lending & Alternative Investments was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.